When warm weather arrives, most people prefer to be outside as much as possible, making an outdoor space more than just a garden. Today, gardens are multi-purpose areas that reflect personal interests and personalities, and are often used for the same activities that take place indoors. A garden can serve as a much-needed retreat that – when well-designed and decorated – can help to increase a home’s liveable space.
Over the next 26 days, we’ll focus on the backyard by letter, with an A to Z guide, full of smart and stylish outdoor decor ideas, along with useful and unique garden elements.
Did we miss something? Tweet your photos and ideas @MovatoHome! Use this backyard bible to transform your outdoor area into a relaxing personal sanctuary that can be enjoyed all year ’round.
X – Xtras (and other brilliant garden essentials): This section includes my picks for the top 10 garden must-haves that weren’t included in the previous A-to-Z categories. This is the ultimate garden wish list!
1. Games – For fun with friends and the family! Introduce a game or two such as; Giant Jenga, chess, badminton, lawn bowling, or my favourite – croquet.
2. Hammock – A plush, pillowed hammock in a bold eye-catching colour or stripe can be matched with an outdoor umbrella to add flair.
3. Hot Tub – Take a soak in warm water.
4. Gazebo – Offers a luxurious sheltered setting for dining or relaxation away from the main house.
5. Greenhouse – Essential for the serious gardener.
6. Lap Pool – The perfect space-saving solution for exercising and cooling off.
7. Signs and Plaques – More than just a ‘welcome’ greeting or ‘beware of dog’ alert, quirky signs can add a whimsical element and help to highlight a garden theme.
8. Stylish Shed – Far more than a tool store, a shed can be styled to become a main garden feature.
9. Tent or Tepee – Not just for festivals (and much cheaper than a gazebo); a cute tent with lots of plush floor cushions makes a fun and cozy addition.
10. Trellis – The ever-useful garden trellis is no longer ugly and outdated. Trellises are now available in punchy colours and sculptural designs that support plants in a decorative way. Check out Flora and Terra Trellis.
Miss our last post from this A to Z guide? This guide is full of garden goodies, great ideas and practical solutions to help you create a summer-ready outdoor retreat. Just in case:
A — Al fresco dining; B — Bunting; C — Cinema; D — Daybed; E — Eco Garden Room; F — Fire Pits; G — Glow-in-the-Dark Elements; H — Herb Garden; I — Irrigation System; J — Jumbo Joss Sticks; K — Kitchenette; L — Living Wall; M — Mosaics; N — Night Lighting. O — Ornaments & Sculptures; P — Pizza Ovens; Q — Quirky Accessories; R — Recycled Elements; S — Solar Shading; T — Terrariums; U — Umbrellas; V — Vegetable Patch; W — Water Features.